Sunday, April 27, 2014

This week's restaurants: Salazar, Mazunte, Metropole and The Rookwood

Wow, was I lucky this past week in the array of places we ate out.
Salazar Appetizers
Last Tuesday evening my husband & I along with two of our friends tried SALAZAR, one of the newest additions to the Gateway Quarter (aka Over-the-Rhine) downtown Cincinnati neighborhood.
It's a very small and noisy dining room, even early on a Tuesday night. Everyone enjoyed the food, although I must say that my favorite tastes there came in liquid form: an excellent Old Fashioned and then a delicious glass of French chardonnay. Food wise, my buccatini pasta entree was too dry and light on sauce and clams, although I did enjoy my appetizer of shrimp seviche..And all my companions raved about a house-made black cherry and pistachio ice cream.


Pasta at Salazar -- needed more sauce!




Given the hype surrounding this new, chef-owned restaurant, it left me slightly disappointed--but not enough so not to return sometime.
The next day I met my friend for lunch at MAZUNTE, which is as good at tacos as anywhere else in town. But I tried enchiladas this time, and they were fine (but not as tasty as the tacos from the previous visit).
Mazunte Salsa Bar

Over the weekend we had tickets to a couple of performances downtown and wanted to dine out before or after. Friday night we ate at METROPOLE in the 21C Hotel, and as always there we liked the menu choices, the drinks, and the execution of the dishes. I ordered two salads instead of getting an entree, and then indulged in dessert -- vanilla custard parfait, they called it, although it didn't really seem like a typical parfait with various layers of flavors.

Metropole Dessert

And finally, Saturday night after a play we sat outside on the large deck at The Rookwood restaurant in Mt. Adams. I went vegetarian with a salad and then grilled eggplant for an entree -- nicely done -- and a couple of cocktails from one of the best cocktail makers in the region.

Veggie appetizers @ The Rookwood
Yes, he had a burger!

No comments:

Post a Comment