|Skewered shrimp over a summery salad|
Before fall weather sets in for good, let's postpone the hot-oven dinners and stick with our grills. (I much prefer not to heat up my kitchen with the oven, or even a lot of stove top burners, until September goes.)
From Eating Well magazine -- a great favorite -- here's a recipe for grilled shrimp skewers served over a light, summery bean salad. Sea scallops work just as well as the shrimp, or you can alternate the two shellfish. Chunks of swordfish or other firm fish would be tasty, too.
Recipe: Grilled Shrimp Skewers over White Bean Salad(Serves 4-6)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons packed fresh oregano, minced
- 2 tablespoons packed fresh sage, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed
- 12 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 24 raw shrimp (21-25 per pound, peeled and deveined
- Combine lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, oregano, sage, chives, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the dressing in a small bowl. Add beans, tomatoes and celery to the large bowl; toss well.
- Preheat grill to medium-high or place a grill pan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Thread shrimp onto 6 skewers. (If using a grill pan, you don’t need to skewer the shrimp.)
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip) or the grill pan. Grill the shrimp until pink and firm, turning once, about 4 minutes total. Serve the shrimp on the white bean salad, drizzled with the reserved dressing.