Check out this article, "30 Blogs Serving Up Healthy Mac and Cheese." The list is divided into categories -- Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Low Fat, Organic and Low Carb. I'm most interested in the low fat and low carb versions, since fat and calories are the ingredients that I try to avoid.
Here's one recipe that fills the bill for me, called Moosewood Restaurant's Lower-Fat Macaroni and Cheese (serves 4)
- 1 1/2 c 1% cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 c skim milk or buttermilk
- 1 t dried mustard or 1 T prepared mustard
- pinch of cayenne (or more)
- 1/4 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- 1/4 c grated onions
- 1 c grated sharp cheddar (4 oz.)
- 1/2 lb. uncooked elbow macaroni (or other tubular pasta)
- 2 T finely grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 c bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375. Prepare square (9 or 10 inch) baking pan with a light
spray of oil.
- In a blender, combine cottage cheese, milk, mustard, cayenne, nutmeg, salt
and pepper and puree until smooth. (I used my immersion blender.) In a large
bowl, combine pureed mixture with the onions, cheddar and uncooked macaroni.
Stir well. Pour macaroni and cheese mixture into the baking pan. Combine the
grated Pecoino or Parmesan and bread crumbs and sprinkle over top.
- Bake about 45 minutes, until topping is browned and the center is