Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Really good news for lovers of cheese, butter & eggs

Here is a terrific article about the now 99-year-old scientist who first discovered how BAD trans-fats are for the human body -- way back in the late 1950s.  Most of his peers didn't believe his research, but he carried on with it and eventually was proven right. As you probably know, the FDA is now requiring food manufacturers to get rid of the stuff entirely. (Happily for me, I took that no trans-fat advice to heart -- ha, ha -- at least 20 years ago and have avoided it as much as possible for all that time.)
The other cool thing about this article, and the scientist it features, is the man's refutation of the idea that saturated fat -- in animal products -- causes heart disease and other dire health outcomes. He's 99, still working, and eats eggs cooked in butter for breakfast most days along with red meat several times a week.
It's a great read and makes me feel good about the diet I've been following for so long -- Mediterranean in most ways but with occasional meat and cheese, and even some butter once in a while.
Read for yourself! http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/17/health/a-lifelong-fight-against-trans-fat.html?ref=science&_r=0

2 comments:

  1. I'll definitely have to give this article a read. I'm a big-time cheese lover, and there's not a lot that could make me give it up. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. I have been detoxing for many years now and never heard of that study, makes me think. I love the mediterranian diet, btw, nice read.

    ReplyDelete