Thursday, April 21, 2011

Morels, fiddlehead ferns and an A+ vegan dish

ca
One night this week I had no plans for dinner and no time to go to the grocery store. We've all been there, right?
Luckily, I had a couple of special springtime veggies in the fridge from a visit to the market last weekend: a small amount of morel mushrooms and an equally tiny portion of fiddlehead ferns.
With some garlic, a leek, a handful of fresh spinach and another kind of mushroom that were on hand, I was able to whip up a vegan dish (served over brown rice, which I keep in the microwavable bags, frozen) that my husband was crazy about.
The one little "cheat" that made it extra delicious was that I added about 1 T of pure unsalted butter at the very end of the cooking process.
The rest of the ingredients:
Salt and pepper
2 T of capers, drained
1 T toasted pine nuts

1 comment:

  1. When you are making soups, stews and even some barbecue recipes or roasts, consider using a slow cooker instead of cooking them for hours on top of the stove. Slow cookers use less energy and you can cook your meals during low energy times in your home.

    Healthy cooking tips

    ReplyDelete