Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snowed in? Bake cookies!




Let me say up front: I am not a baker. My mother had the knack--pies were her specialty--but I've never become adept at using the oven. But on the relatively rare occasions when I've been housebound due to weather, something compels me to dig through my cabinets, pull out the ingredients for oatmeal cookies, and bake up a batch. I just used the recipe from the oats box.

If the idea appeals to you, here's what Quaker Oats' website now posts as their Famous Oatmeal Cookies recipe. To the best of my memory, this is the one I used to make--in those days, using Crisco, which I now know to avoid due to its heart-unhealthy trans-fats. (Quaker now says to use vegetable shortening made without trans-fats.) The batter tastes as good or better than the baked cookie, but it's dangerous to eat raw eggs so beware of dipping your finger too many times into the mixing bowl.

While the cookies are cooling, go out and shovel your walkway to counteract the calories you're going to consume.

Stay safe!

Recipe: Quaker's Famous Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup trans-fat free vegetable shortening
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening and granulated sugar on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy.
Add egg, water and vanilla; beat well.
Add combined oats, flour, salt and baking soda; mix well.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.

Note: Improve the final product by adding 1/2 cup of raisins, golden raisins and/or chocolate chips to the batter before dropping onto the cookie sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment