It's the peak season for my favorite fruit, now that Michigan blueberries have shown up in our local grocery stores. For about another month, there's no excuse not to eat loads of these perfect darlings every single day. While most of the time I'll have them in cereal, yogurt or mixed in with cubes of melon, with so many on hand it's good to have a variety of ways to enjoy them.
This chicken salad is light, healthy and perfectly balanced with savory-salty-sweet flavors.
Recipe: Chicken-Blueberry Salad
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Whisk together first 6 ingredients. Reserve half of mixture, and chill.
- Place chicken in a shallow dish or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; pour remaining mixture over chicken. Cover or seal, and chill at least 1 hour.
- Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Grill over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 6 minutes on each side or until done. Cut into thin slices.
- Combine celery and next 3 ingredients; add reserved dressing, tossing to coat.
- Place chicken over greens. Top with celery mixture; sprinkle with berries.