Recipe: Bean and Toasted Pita SaladServes 4
- 2 6-inch whole-wheat pita breads, cut or torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ground toasted cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked pinto beans, well drained and slightly warmed
- 1 cup diced plum tomatoes or 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 cup sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread pita pieces out on a large baking sheet. Bake until crisp and beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool on the pan.
- Mash garlic and salt with the back of a chef’s knife to form a paste. Transfer to a bowl, add lemon juice and ground cumin and whisk to blend. Add oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking continually. Season with pepper.
- Place beans, tomatoes and cucumber in a serving bowl. Add the toasted pita, lettuce, feta, parsley, mint and the dressing; toss to mix. Season with more pepper. Serve immediately.