I picked this up from the Today Show's website while looking at something else.
Of course we've all heard that wine, and in particular red wine, has health benefits. Here's a nifty little list of no fewer than EIGHT reasons that a nice pour every day is good for us:
1. A couple of studies have demonstrated that red wine can lower LDL ("bad") cholesterol.
2. Red wine has blood-thinning properties that can protect your heart by helping to keep arteries unclogged.
3. The skin of red grapes helps regular blood sugar in those with diabetes, or pre-diabetes.
4. It can keep your brain in good health, boosting memory.
5. Its antioxidants assist the immune system in fighting viruses, such as the common cold.
6. According to researchers at the University of Virginia, the resveratrol you get from drinking one glass of red wine three or four times a week may be enough to starve any nascent cancer cells. The scientists dosed human cancer cells with resveratrol and found that the compound inhibited the key action of a cancer-feeding protein.
7. Some studies suggest that red wine can prevent the growth of fat cells in our bodies.
8. Cooking with wine is just as effective as drinking it.
Click here to read the entire article, with details about the research backing these claims.
Food Hussy Recipe + Giveaway: Honey Dijon Pork Satay
19 hours ago