Recipe: Linguine with Tuna PuttanescaServes 4
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces linguine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped kalamata olives
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano plum tomatoes
- 4 basil leaves, torn, plus more for garnish
- 1 5-ounce can albacore tuna, packed in olive oil
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook linguine until just tender.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until slightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the capers and olives and fry 2 more minutes. Crush the tomatoes into the skillet with your hands and reserve the juices. Cook until the tomatoes are slightly dry, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved tomato juices, the basil, and salt to taste and cook until the sauce thickens, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tuna with its oil, breaking it up with a fork, and season with salt.
Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water, and return it to the pot. Add the sauce and the reserved cooking water and toss. Season with pepper and garnish with more basil.