Broccoli salad is a summer favorite, perfect for cookouts and picnics.
I love this version, with sweet cranberries, crunchy water chestnuts and a little bit of bacon for that inimitable salty/savory je-ne-sais-quois. ( I heard a story this weekend about a vegetarian who reverted to carnivore status because she just could not resist bacon.)
Broccoli Salad with Cranberries, Water Chestnuts and Bacon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 cups finely chopped broccoli crowns
- 1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped
- 3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
In a large bowl, whisk together garlic, mayo, sour cream, vinegar and sugar. Add broccoli, water chestnuts, bacon, cranberries and pepper. Stir well. Cover and refrigerate; serve cold. The salad can be made up to one day in advance and still taste great.