Sunday, June 5, 2011

Return to Jean-Robert's Table






My first dinner at Jean-Robert de Cavel's lovely downtown restaurant a few months ago was pleasant enough, but I thought the food too rich and caloric for my taste. So it took this long to get back. Happily, the spring menu emphasizes lighter dishes and ingredients, and that problem went away.
Actually my friends and I had a delightful meal and good time. A highlight was the Burgundy wine suggested by the sommelier, which went great with both my filet mignon (a special) and my companions' fish dishes.

In the photos (from top):
  • Shrimp salad, a nightly special appetizer
  • The filet mignon
  • Seared sea scallops from the regular menu
  • Roasted cod, an entree special
  • Strawberry-mint Bavarian, the one dessert we split three ways.
My meal was the shrimp salad, filet, and part of the dessert, and I can recommend every bite of each of those dishes. My favorite was the entree, a perfect piece of meat, cooked to medium rare and sliced, atop some veggies and with a few bites of melt-in-your-mouth roasted potatoes.

1 comment: