Friday, June 18, 2010

Nantucket Dining




We took a high speed ferry from Hyannis to Nantucket Island yesterday, arriving by 10 am.


First we headed to the fascinating Whaling Museum, and arrived in time for an absorbing presentation -- lecture with video -- about the history of the whaling industry in this part of the world.


Bottom line on that: I'm so glad they stopped hunting and slaughtering whales. Interestingly enough, though, it was mostly about the oil they got from whales, and it was the discovery of crude oil that saved the whales. But that same stuff is now killing the Gulf.


Later, we also took a walking tour of the town of Nantucket.


But this is a foodie blog, so quickly I'll tell about the fine dinner we had at a place right near the ferry wharf. The restaurant is Straight Wharf Restaurant, and we enjoyed every dish.


My husband has been especially lucky in recent days with the dishes he's ordered. At Straight Wharf, he had a white gazpacho (made with almonds, among other ingreds) that he pronounced the best he'd ever had. That was followed by a nice halibut (pictured, below).


My entree was the best I've had this week....diver scallops, perfectly seared for a crunchy exterior, and accompanied by some very wonderful veggies, including fiddlehead ferns and fava beans.


I did sin at the end of the meal, with a delicious panna cotta. As usual on vacation, I must be picking up a couple of pounds and it's starting to feel noticeable. But also as usual, I won't be able to deal with it until we return. Although I'm getting an hour's exercise walk almost every morning, it's not enough to make up for the extra calories -- coming from food, food, more food and booze, too.


Oh well.........that's how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment